Raised in the Chicago suburb of Hoffman Estates, Michele Jakubowski has the teachers in her life to thank for her love of reading and writing. While writing has always been a passion for Michele, she believes it is the books she has read throughout the years, and the teachers who assigned them, that have made her the storyteller she is today. Michele lives in Powell, Ohio, with her husband, John, and their children, Jack and Mia.
Learn More About Us
- My favorite thing to do is hang out with my friends Gomez and Sydney. I was really nervous to move to Oak Grove, but Gomez and Sydney made it easy.
- Sometimes I like being an only child, but other times it’s really boring. At least I don’t have an annoying little brother like Sydney or a big brother who bullies me like Gomez!
- My grandparents live in Oak Grove, too. I go to their house every Sunday to play Scrabble and cards.
- Playing Galaxy Conquest, telling jokes, and playing sports are my favorite things to do.
- Because my dad was a photographer, I have been able to see some pretty cool things. Sydney is jealous I’ve been to Paris, but my favorite place was Australia. I learned to surf when I was there. It was awesome!
- Even though my very best friend is Harley, I have a lot of fun with Sidney (even though he is a boy!). Gomez is super fun, too.
- My birthday is August 3. That makes my zodiac sign a Leo. Leos like attention, are confident, and always liven up a party. Leos like fashionable clothes and being active. Sounds like me!
- Even though I’m small, I am an incredible dodgeball player.
- I love Fruity Frosted Loopies, but my favorite food in the entire world is chocolate chip cookies with a big, tall glass of milk.
- When I get older, I want to travel around the world.
Learn about our friends.
Name: Marco Xavier Gomez (everyone
calls me Gomez) Age: 8 Interesting Fact: I have diabetes, but it is okay. I just have to check my blood sugar before I eat, and I can’t eat a lot of sweets.
Name: Harley Livingston
Interesting Fact: I want to be a professional soccer player someday. I can already see it: Harley Livingston, member of the women’s U.S. Olympic soccer team!
Learn About My Books
When Sidney Fletcher moves to Oak Grove, things get a little strange for Sydney Greene. Not only does Sydney share a name with a boy, but he’s in her third-grade class! From first-day-of-school problems to Halloween drama, Sidney and Sydney quickly become friends.
Sidney and Sydney have tackled first-day-of-school problems, avoided Halloween disasters, and proven that boys and girls can be friends. The rest of third grade should be easy, right? Wrong! From dodgeball fights to school play drama, these two friends have a lot to learn!
Learn About The Author
Luisa Montalto followed a curved path to becoming an illustrator. She was first a dancer, then earned her doctorate degree in cinematography. She credits these experiences with giving her the energy and will to try harder. Finally, she went on to work with an independent comics magazine before becoming a professional illustrator in 2003.